Transition support for rangatahi

Transition Support Services are a range of services for young people between 15 to 25 years old. They support transition from care or custody into adult life.

About the service


Transcript – About the Transition Support Service

(Music plays throughout the video)

Scott, Transition Support Worker:

“Young people who have been, or are currently in a care or youth justice placement, they need support and Transition Support Services can provide that.

Give us a call and we can support you to reach your goals.

0800 55 89 89”

(Oranga Tamariki logo comes on screen)

End of transcript.

What is transition support?

Transition support can help with specific things to help you become independent. This could be help to stay with a caregiver, create a transition plan or access financial support.

Support is available from Oranga Tamariki and transition workers. Transition workers work for Iwi-Māori or community partner organisations and can support you in a way that works for you.

Who can access it

You are eligible for transition support services if you:

  • have been in care or custody for over three months continuously
  • are between 15 - 25 years old.

How to get support

You can access help whenever works for you, including before you leave care or custody. You can choose to take transition help or not, at any time.

If you are eligible, not sure if you are, or want to find out more contract:

  • a care, caregiver, or youth justice social worker
  • a transition worker
  • our free helpline on 0800 55 89 89.

Help we can offer

We can help you:

  • find a place to live or stay with a caregiver
  • get some financial support
  • access a transition worker
  • get your driver’s licence
  • find a job or enrol in training
  • get legal advice
  • access counselling and other health services.

Support to stay with a caregiver

You may be able to stay with your caregiver if you are 18 and not ready to leave your current home. You can stay with a caregiver up to the age of 21.

If your caregiver would like you to, we can help you arrange staying with them. Call us on 0800 55 89 89.

A transition worker can also support you to stay with a caregiver.

Financial support

We may be able to provide you with some financial support when:

  • things get tough
  • you need help to become independent
  • no other financial support is available.

Our financial support will not affect any other services you use or benefits you receive.

Help transition workers can offer

A transition worker can support you in a way that works for you. This can include help with identity, cultural and disability needs.

Transition workers can:

  • ensure your voice is heard so you can take the lead in your life
  • help you understand your rights and entitlements
  • teach you the skills needed for adulthood
  • build strong relationships with people important to you
  • be there to listen and support you.

Call us on 0800 55 89 89 if you would like to discuss a referral to a transition worker.

More support and advice

Check out VOYCE – Whakarongo Mai to get further support if you have been in care. 

VOYCE help rangatahi have their say on decisions that matter to them. They also have fun connection events so you can meet other rangatahi who may have had a similar journey to you.

Youth Service – Ratonga Taiohi can also support you if you are aged 16-19 and cannot live at home or if you are looking after tamariki.

Published: July 12, 2019 · Updated: October 30, 2023